baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:53:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Lee Forrest wrote:

Regarding ratpoison

This is a pretty small X-window manager (4X swm) modeled
after screen. I use it on debian. Is excellent. Almost all
keybindings. Hardly ever have to touch a rodent.

I have it for SW7.1 (or maybe the SW8.1 glibc) and it is less
useful with Opera than is icewm, which can be used entirely via
keyboard and lets you change focus whereas I needed to use a
mouse in Opera with ratpoison.

I am having problems with it. It won't see any aliases (and
I've tried _everything_) unless I run '. etc/profile' in
each window. When I converted one of them to a shell function,
and ran it, it crashed the window.

I have to use scripts instead of aliases in an xterm. But I don't usually run any programs in xterms, I use a virtual terminal instead.

I am thinking it needs a 'real' xserver, rather than Xvesa.

You can run X programs without any window manager - check the
archives.

Sure. But I run 'xterms' in three windows at startup, and
sometimes more.

Why not use screen instead? Or splitvt? In a virtual terminal.

I don't normally run more than one X program at once, but the
menu can be handy.

I hardly ever do, but I'm not booting X just to run one when
I need to. Takes too long and completely changes the user
interface. I do enjoy a _small_ indulgence in the aesthetics
made possible by X.

I don't follow the above. What takes too long? To run what?
I rely heavily on those aliases, although, oddly, the word
doesn't appear in man ash.

I had the same problem and gave up on aliases under X.

As an interesting aside:
Ratpoison with three windows uses about half as much memory as
swm with three windows, all other things being equal.
(8M to 15M with nothing much going on.)

Are you using a patterned background in swm?

But rp is 112K to swm's 20.

Lee