baslinux - Re: [BL] USB support

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB support
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 03:59:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Christof Lange wrote:

On 29 Dec 06 at 3:44, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

Sindi will recompile with 8MB RAMDISK but maybe wait until you have tested
the existing 'lc' kernel, in case something else needs changing at the same
time. I did not even try booting with it.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimaglc.431

Sindi,

today I continued testing some of the cusomized 2.4.31 kernels
on your website.

- Sy doesnot work with USB modules (complains already with usbcore),

It is identical to sm except that it loads the scsi modules for you. If you load the scsi modules on top of that kernel it will crash. Do not use it unless you are booting linux on a scsi drive.

Does sm work for you?

- it is the same with the Lm kernel.
I will test this myself when I have more time.

- Lc freezes after booting and loading USB device.
Sorry, I did not have time to test it.

So far I succeeded only with La - but La does not allow to mount
CD-ROM.

Did you insert the required modules for CD-ROM? See Steven's list (in rc?). I made the kernel smaller by making everything modular so it would work better in 12MB RAM on a laptop. If this kernel works I will change it to 8MB RAMDISK.

In case you find time to compile a USB kernel with maximum RAM disk
8192 kB, I would describe my priorities as follows:

a) Please, do not make the kernel too specific. At this moment, I
know what I need it for - a very customized and minimized RAM disk
version of BL2. Nevertheless in future, it could be useful also when
booting into standard Slackware 7.1 installations. In that case a
lack of CD-ROM support, floppy drive etc. would be very annoying.

b) The module approach is okay to me. I do not need everything to be
built in. Loading the individual USB modules manually and in scripts
can be helpful when debugging. If the basic RAM disk is 8MB I would
not mind putting a number of modules on it.

Does my smf kernel work for you with scsi and usb modules? That also supports ipchains and nfs and framebuffer and scsi and sound. Does the sm kernel work? If so, the sy kernel should also work if you do NOT insert scsi_mod and sd_mod, just the three usb modules.

Let me know which kernels work for you and which you prefer and I will make with 8MB Ramdisk.

You can look at the configs I posted to see what is supported.

This took me a very long time to get right and to figure out which modules to use in 2.4.31 (not always the same as 2.2.X). For networking for example you often need extra modules. And there are bugs so you need modules sometimes that are not listed as dependencies (gameport.o) and some modules just will not insert (usbserial.o) so must be in the kernel.

Let me know if the smf kernel is useful to you (it supports CD-ROM without modules, but needs modules for scsi and usb) and I will add 8MB RAMDISK, maybe tomorrow.

Sindi

> Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov