baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 21:41:05 +0000

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:46:13AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> >> I have to use scripts instead of aliases in an xterm. But I
> >> don't usually run any programs in xterms, I use a virtual
> >> terminal instead.
> >
> > I assume you mean a plain tty, like you'd switch between
> > using Ctrl-Alt-F*.
> >
> > What if you want to run more programs at the same time, ones
> > that can't be backgrounded?
>
> Make more terminals in inittab.

That only addresses part of the reason I use X.

And different ttys are not the same as different, and
integrated, ptys.

That you can easily copy between.

> > How about if you have to really closely compare two files?
> > Splitvt?
>
> A search on 'compare two files' gave many hits on 'cmp'.

I know about cmp and sdiff and diff. They are quite limited.

This is not the same thing as viewing them.

> > My head was up my ass.
>
> Can you say that in fewer characters?

If I wanted to. I don't.

> >> Why not use screen instead?
> >
> > Screen is much larger than ratpoison (2X) and you can't run
> > x-apps. Like xli to view images while using links.
>
> Links and zgv do not need X.

You really should skim a post before responding to it.

> I run two full-screen programs on two monitors with mdacon for
> TTL on vt1 and vt2.

I'm really happy for you.

> > Screen also has networking capabilities, which are redundant
> > if you are using X.
> >
> >> Or splitvt? In a virtual terminal.
> >
> > It's that image thing. When I want to view an image I want
> > to do it now and in the environment I normally use. I'm not
> > going to startx on a different tty and then hassle moving
> > files between them.
>
> > Please don't start going on about zgv/svgalib. That
> > app/library is _broken_ and I don't have the skill to fix it.
> > It's the only app/lib that has ever crashed linux for me.
>
> Set the chipset line properly so it will not crash. Boot
> without config.sys. I have often crashed linux with X
> (especially xfbdev and Xvesa). I have svgalib working on all my
> computers.

I've already tried zgv/svgalib. I've even talked to one
of it's authors.

> >> Are you using a patterned background in swm?
> >
> > Yes. Stock configuration.
>
> Change it to solid black 'midnight'.

Actually, I'll do what I told you I was doing.

If you don't like it, you can write your congressperson.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru