baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:34:45 +0000

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:22:32PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 09:08:42PM +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 05:14:05PM +1300,
> > 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > > Are you putting your aliases in ~/.bashrc ?
> >
> > Why would I do that? I'm running busybox ash, not bash.
> > And I've just spent an hour reading the manpage. It reads
> > /etc/profile or ~/.profile.
>
> I just read through the faq. It _says_ bash, but doesn't have
> many of the features I'm used to with bash2, so I'm guessing
> it's bash1.
>
> But bash looks for /etc/profile if it doesn't find ~/.bashrc,

I had that backwards. From man bash:

When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads
and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file
exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile,
~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and
executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.

/quote

> and when I copied /etc/profile to ~/.bashrc and rebooted, I
> couldn't use my aliases with swm either! Maybe that's because
> I didn't have a ~/.bash_profile, too, but if the shell wasn't
> reading /etc/profile, as it's doing now, then I wouldn't
> be able to use those aliases. And I am. And all the other
> environment variables therein are available. Either way!

Note: Links does work well as an FTP browser. It'll do for now.
I still have to complete and stabilize my custom-BL. Looks
like I'll be able to keep it under 50M, which by today's
standards _is_ tiny. It could be installed from floppys.

Full development tools are a different story. Uclibc takes
about 85M.

I have heard a rumor that Steven plans on using uclibc for
the baselibs of BL4. _That_ would be interesting.

Lee
--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru