baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:21:31 -0800

Lee Forrest wrote:

I am having problems with it. It won't see any aliases (and
I've tried _everything_) unless I run '. etc/profile' in
each window.

These are rxvt windows, right? What command are you using to launch
them? When you start rxvts from the menu in the default BL3 X setup,
they are launched with the -ls option (to start the shells as login
shells). If you start your rxvts just by executing 'rxvt', the shell
is started as a non-login shell, and those do Not automatically import
/etc/profile.

When I converted one of them to a shell function, and ran it, it crashed the
window.

I will attempt to reproduce this. More specifics would be helpful
(e.g. example crash_me script).

> You can run X programs without any window manager - check the
> archives.

Sure. But I run 'xterms' in three windows at startup, and
sometimes more.

You can tab between them in swm with Alt-tab. No rodent necessary.

I rely heavily on those aliases, although, oddly, the word
doesn't appear in man ash.

Very odd. The BSD manpage has alias information:

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?ash+1

As an interesting aside:
Ratpoison with three windows uses about half as much memory as
swm with three windows, all other things being equal.
(8M to 15M with nothing much going on.)

Are you sure that you are accounting for the various memory management
tricks of Linux? e.g. shared functions, buffers, mmap'd files?

David