baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:57:26 +0000

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:21:31PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:

> Lee Forrest wrote:
>
> > I am having problems with it. It won't see any aliases (and
> > I've tried _everything_) unless I run '. etc/profile' in each
> > window.
>
> These are rxvt windows, right?

Yes.

> What command are you using to launch them? When you start rxvts
> from the menu in the default BL3 X setup, they are launched
> with the -ls option (to start the shells as login shells). If
> you start your rxvts just by executing 'rxvt', the shell is
> started as a non-login shell, and those do Not automatically
> import /etc/profile.

~/.xinitrc:

# wallpaper
swmbg /usr/share/swm/pixmaps/morocco.xpm &

/usr/share/swm/menu.sh &
exec swm &
/usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt -ls -g 68X30 -title "A" -C &
/usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt -ls -g 68X30 -title "B" -C &
/usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt -ls -g 68X30 -title "C" -C

Do you like my creative titles? :-\

I considered "Windi Sindi", "Even Steven", and "Davey Wavey".

;-)

> > When I converted one of them to a shell function, and ran it,
> > it crashed the window.
>
> I will attempt to reproduce this. More specifics would be
> helpful (e.g. example crash_me script).

Just a simple function in my /etc/profile, with the
aliases commented out and '. /etc/profile' run.

ls () {
ls -asF
}

Come to think of it, there may need to be a ";" after
-asF for bash1. Don't need that with bash2, which
is what I'm most familiar with.

> > > You can run X programs without any window manager - check
> > > the archives.
> >
> > Sure. But I run 'xterms' in three windows at startup, and
> > sometimes more.
>
> You can tab between them in swm with Alt-tab. No rodent
> necessary.

That's M-tab. You can only use the left Alt. It's awkward (throws
left hand position way off) but usable. I'd like to change it.

> > I rely heavily on those aliases, although, oddly, the word
> > doesn't appear in man ash.
>
> Very odd. The BSD manpage has alias information:
>
> http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?ash+1

Apparently it's bash1 (the faq says bash), rather than ash,
and I suspect that Steven trimmed it down some. Bash looks for
/etc/profile first.

With swm-rxvt it finds it. with ratpoison-rxvt it finds the
environment variables but not the aliases.

Unless I run '. /etc/profile' in each window. I tried just
about everything you can imagine. In bash2 there is a
PROMPT_COMMAND variable that runs any command you want
just before the primary prompt is issued. That might
have worked.

But it would be a mickey mouse solution. Something here
needs to be fixed.

> > As an interesting aside: Ratpoison with three windows uses
> > about half as much memory as swm with three windows, all
> > other things being equal. (8M to 15M with nothing much going
> > on.)
>
> Are you sure that you are accounting for the various memory
> management tricks of Linux? e.g. shared functions, buffers,
> mmap'd files?

No. Just using the output of BL free.

Lee

--