baslinux - Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ratpoison-Lsof-Par: New Add-ons from David Moberg
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:40:21 +0000

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 12:12:17AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 lforrestster AT gmail.com wrote:
>
> > David got these to compile for libc5!
> >
> > http://davidjmoberg.googlepages.com/ratpoison-1.4.0-i486-libc
> > 5.tgz
> >
> > This is a pretty small X-window manager (4X swm) modeled
> > after screen. I use it on debian. Is excellent. Almost all
> > keybindings. Hardly ever have to touch a rodent.
>
> I have it for SW7.1 (or maybe the SW8.1 glibc) and it is less
> useful with Opera than is icewm, which can be used entirely via
> keyboard and lets you change focus whereas I needed to use a
> mouse in Opera with ratpoison.

I am having problems with it. It won't see any aliases (and
I've tried _everything_) unless I run '. etc/profile' in
each window. When I converted one of them to a shell function,
and ran it, it crashed the window.

I am thinking it needs a 'real' xserver, rather than Xvesa.

> You can run X programs without any window manager - check the
> archives.

Sure. But I run 'xterms' in three windows at startup, and
sometimes more.

> I don't normally run more than one X program at once, but the
> menu can be handy.

I hardly ever do, but I'm not booting X just to run one when
I need to. Takes too long and completely changes the user
interface. I do enjoy a _small_ indulgence in the aesthetics
made possible by X.

> > I haven't tested them, but he hasn't failed yet.
> David gets things right eventually, with user feedback, but you
> really ought to test things he compiles before relying on them
> since he can't test everything and sometimes things compiled
> with uclibc don't work quite right, such as xfbdev crashing
> badly when I switch vts.

I do. I didn't ditch swm or anything associated with it.
Am using it again now.

I rely heavily on those aliases, although, oddly, the word
doesn't appear in man ash.

As an interesting aside:
Ratpoison with three windows uses about half as much memory as
swm with three windows, all other things being equal.
(8M to 15M with nothing much going on.)

But rp is 112K to swm's 20.

Lee

--