baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 04:28:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

qemu -fda dos71.img

It boots and gives us a prompt.

OK, now that it is working you can use it to access
your DOS partition (assuming you've got a DOS partition
on that machine).

On all our machines. This was my next question, how to access other partitions from qemu and vice versa. I can access the regular DOS partitions from linux, but not linux from DOS (I can just copy over any files that I need).

First, before starting qemu, mount your DOS partition
at /hd. Then start qemu like this:
---------------------------------
qemu -fda dos71.img -hdb fat:/hd
---------------------------------

-hdb presumably has nothing to do with where DOS is located (my DOS partitions are on hda). Why 'b'? Would a second DOS partition be hdc?

Does this let me access all the programs in that DOS partition?
Can I mount more than one DOS partition, for instance hda1 at /hd and hda2 at /mnt ? I have four DOS partitions (to make cluster size smaller I split up the 1GB drive into 4x256 with 4K or maybe 8K clusters).

Assuming you've got the same version of DOS (7.1?)
on both the FD and HD, you should be able to run
things off the HD. You'll probably want to change
the PATH to the HD /DOS directory (can be done in
FD autoexec.bat)

What would the PATH line look like? If I mount things as above, is 'hdb' going to be the C: partition? -fda is A: Did you mean to write -hdc?

This sounds like a big improvement over dosemu, except that dosemu works with our CAD program and qemu does not, and dosemu does not require X.
It had some proble with the text editor that I need to check in qemu.
And I can't load Wordperfect directly. Maybe 4DOS menu will work to start it instead of DC.

How do I exit qemu without exiting X?