baslinux - Re: [BL] Deleted /home directory recovered - I'm baaack !

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Deleted /home directory recovered - I'm baaack !
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 09:00:40 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Thu, 4 May 2006 01:58:39 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Do you have space to keep a second copy of your BL setup on a second hard
> drive?

Yes, I have copies of the /home/ron directory (pruned to the essentials)
copied to a few other partitions and to a USB external HD.

The non-essentials have been removed to a separate directory to reduce
the size of the back-ups - the original loss was a directory of over 8 GB !
It seems I got 99.9 % of it back. I am a lucky boy !

> On Thu, 4 May 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Well, more by luck than judgement, I managed to recover the /home
> > directory that I had accidentally deleted, and I am back in business.
> >
> > It has been a stressful few days ! All my passwords (email accounts,
> > domain management) had gone.
> >
> > It was made possible by having a full distro of SW9.1 on another
> > partition, and with the wonderful capabilities of the resident mc, which
> > has an "undelete in ext2" function.
> >
> > You can now bet that I have backups of the core information from
> > /home/ron stashed in several different places now. I would not want to
> > go through that again. My installation of a much-enhanced BL2 has become
> > mission-critical, a fact which became obvious as soon as it was
> > unavailable.

Regards,
Ron

--