baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 23:40:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

qemu -fda dos71.img

It boots and gives us a prompt.

OK, now that it is working you can use it to access
your DOS partition (assuming you've got a DOS partition
on that machine).

First, before starting qemu, mount your DOS partition
at /hd. Then start qemu like this:
---------------------------------
qemu -fda dos71.img -hdb fat:/hd
---------------------------------
Assuming you've got the same version of DOS (7.1?)
on both the FD and HD, you should be able to run
things off the HD. You'll probably want to change
the PATH to the HD /DOS directory (can be done in
FD autoexec.bat)

mount /dev/hda1 /hd (my first DOS partition) make a disk image of dos 7.1 boot disk with himem.sys (dos71.img)

Go into X (Xvesa, 1024x768)
qemu -fda dos71.img -hda fat:/hd

It booted me to A: and I could change to C:

I typed wp (I have a batch file for it) and got the wp screen with the usual complain about some file not found (related to using this DOS)
and then:

Put "WordPerfect 2" disk back in drive and press any key.
Nothing happens when I press a key.

Why does it think I am running WP from a floppy disk?

Ctrl-Alt-F centers the WP window against a blank background without icewm (it now takes up about half the screen, I should have used 640).

I now see Press Ctrl-Alt to exit grab. That also does nothing.

A small document viewer does work correctly. So does 'list' command.
I don't seem to have the path set, this was a reduced-size boot floppy with space left to add wordperfect to it (before I knew it could be run from hard drive).

Pictview still display with some vertical stripes at the top and complains of not enough memory but 'mem' says I have 64MB. Syschk says 128MB extended memory available, no XMM installed. 4DOS says I need an XMS manager to make a RAMdisk. I will try a better boot image.

My partner's little text editor looks like it is working but after I save a file it is NOT THERE.

The CAD program is in /dev/hda3. I tried to specify -hdc fat:/hd after mounting that drive and got a segfault. -hda for that partition worked, sort of, but it tells me 'Booting from Hard Disk...' and that is the end.

-hda tries to boot from hard drive - is there a way to boot from C: on the hard drive instead of A:?

I tried to run the DOS CAD program and was told 'mouse driver not installed'. The mouse driver is in /dev/hda1. I mounted that to /mnt and /dev/hda3 is on /hd
-hdb fat:/mnt -hdc fat:/hd

This gives me C: and D: (which is usually E:).

Drmouse looks like it installs but then it adds:

c:\Line number:
The X mouse is still working. How do I use a DOS mouse under qemu?

The CAD program now loads, but again appears with blue vertical streaks and no way to use the mouse in it (except to exit qemu).

I had the same problems running it all from A:

Ctrl-Alt-F puts the CAD program alone on the screen, with TWO mouse arrows and the same blue vertical stripes. If i move the mouse, it changes to black on white (as our drawing appears, this is expected) with white vertical stripes and things somewhat shifted up down or sideways in spots.

-std-vga at boot did not fix this problem (instead of cirrus vga)

I typed Ctrl-Alt to make the mouse work and got Press Ctrl-Alt to exit grab and I still have two mouse cursors. They won't go below the top half of the screen.

MS WORKS 3.0 for DOS loads properly. I saved a file to default name WORD1.WPS and was told 'Cannot access file. C:\WORKS\WORD1.WPS'.
I can Exit okay.

A database program loads properly but then 'cannot insert record to database'

Do I need to change permissions on /dev/hda1 so as to write to it?

HWINFO loads and seems to work but very slowly. IRQ 11 is the only one detected (Ethernet PCI card for which I loaded linux driver).

Since I have no path I went into the WP51 directory and it loads okay.
THe keyboard is acting oddly, leaving out characters, maybe if I type too fast? 'can I type' became 'cani p'. Without the accelerator DOS programs supposedly run at 1/10 normal speed. I would need to type very slowly or use a later kernel and the accelerator.

If I type slowly I still get double letters. thhiss iiss nnoying

F8 for underline gave me a menu, F6 for bold gave me a series of . . . . .

I don't think the function keys are working properly in qemu.

F3 tells me to put back the Wordperfect 2 disk and press any key.
Nothing works now.

Time to give up? It was fun trying. I think their DOS emulator needs a lot more work.

Would BOCHS do a better job of it?

I don't have any reason to run linux under qemu.