baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:20:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 4 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

How would I make something 10MB in size so I could add programs to it? Do
I make a larger empty image with dd and then copy dos.img to it before
using qemu?

I would do it like so:

qemu-img create dos.img 10M

Then, you can boot the qemu image with your floppy drive specified as follows:

qemu -hda /path/to/dos.img -fda /dev/fd0 -boot a

qemu will boot from the floppy with your dos.img as the HD (future c:\ ). Then run fdisk from the Chinese DOS floppies to create an active DOS partition on the qemu disk image and to format it. After you've done that you can sys the new qemu c:\ and copy all files from the floppies to it. You can also put your WP floppies into the floppy drive and copy files from them over to the new qemu c:\ . You'll need to virtually remove and insert the floppies via qemu monitor (ctrl-alt-2--issue "help" there for a list of valid commands, ctrl-alt-1 takes you back to the running qemu image). You should be able to reboot without the -fda switch and go straight into the new DOS running from your qemu image. It will undoubtedly take some experimentation to figure out all this.

James

PS You can apparently use dd to create your qemu hard drive images too, but since I've not done that I'll let others describe how that would work. I prefer to use qemu-img (probably a script that calls dd?).