baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise)
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:08:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 May 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 5 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

This sounds like a big improvement over dosemu, except that dosemu works
with our CAD program and qemu does not, and dosemu does not require X.
It had some proble with the text editor that I need to check in qemu.
And I can't load Wordperfect directly. Maybe 4DOS menu will work to start
it instead of DC.

I couldn't quite get why your CAD program doesn't work: could you

Vertical blue stripes overlaying about half the screen (evenly spaced).
If I click the mouse the screen goes solid greenish instead. Mouse clicks on the icons don't do anything but change the message at the top of the window. Pictview did not have the problem (but there was not enough free memory, without himem.sys, to display a 50K photo).

reiterate? It should also be mentioned that when qemu has focus you can
do ctrl-alt-f to make it go full screen. If your monitor can handle it

Thanks. The problem is that it is more than 80 columns, ls displays in more than 80 columns, and I can't see the right end of the screen (at 640).

(surely most will: my LCD requires very specific refresh rates and goes
blank when I try to do this running DOS) the screen will look just like
you've booted into DOS and you won't have to look at that pesky Linux GUI
That would be the ideal situation.

:). ctrl-alt-f again will get you back to the X session and the xterm
qemu was running in. Also, be sure to try ctrl-alt-2 to get the qemu
monitor and see how that works and what it does (issue "help" there).
Is this the Control Panel Steven mentioned?

ctrl-alt-1 takes you back to whatever qemu disk image you booted into.

Will try this once we decide what to replace the computer with. The other one at that location has floppy disk mounting problems in linux but not in DOS. Any idea if this is means it is broken or just incompatible? (We got the board dead and replaced 6 capacitors - it is 600MHz).

James