baslinux - Re: [BL] Harddrive will not boot

  • From: elmarsa dice <elmarsadice AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Harddrive will not boot
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:03:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Did that and the number was the same as before so I
> > must have downloaded the wrong language or something.
>
> Ah, you must have an old version of BL3. The above
> md5sum is for the latest version (3.40). If you are
> using an earlier version, the md5sum will be different.
> So your kernel is probably OK. Sorry I put you wrong.
>
> That brings us back to lilo. Please tell me exactly
> what it says on the screen when you run lilo -v
> (I assume you are running lilo from *inside* BL3).
> Also tell me exactly what is in your /etc/lilo.conf

I presume *inside* BL3 means I have booted with disk1 and done the hd
root=/dev/hda1 and gotten the prompt.

OK here goes:

message on lilo -v
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/zimage
Added BL3*
boot/boot.0301 exists - no backup copy made
writing boot sector

contents of lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda1
image=/boot/zimage
label=BL3
root=/dev/hda1
read-write

something else

when I boot with disk1, get the lilo and do a cntl and tab I get the
choices of BL3 ramdisk and hd.
I choose hd and then it comes up "loading hd"
It then goes through the decompress etc, finds the partitions but
ends with the message:
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM diski image starting @ 454
VFS: Insert root floppy and press enter

Hopes that helps some in giving a clue to what is going on.

> > I am trying to teach myself linux and am struggling
> > along. Your help is invaluable.
>
> I'm sorry it's taking us so long to nail the problem.
> BTW, I am on the other side of the world, so I am
> sleeping when most of you guys are awake. Please
> excuse the delay in answering your questions.

Hey no apologies necessary. I am more than thankful for your help.
I hope I can return the favor to someone in the future.

> Cheers,
> Steven

> baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

elmarsa