baslinux - Re: [BL] camera linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] camera linux
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:16:00 -0000

I'm just gonna paste here the message I had already written:

On 19 Dec 2005 at 19:59, sindi keesan wrote:
I am able to ls the directories but not ls -l them (input/output error) or
cd to them. Very consistently I can cd to /sbin but not /bin.

Sindi,

I got the file David suggested,
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/zimage-usb.gz (455459 bytes)
Which apparently is not a gziped file.

Odd. I was able to gunzip the 446,739 file and it enlarged to 455,459. I then gzipped it again to 446,741. I hope it still works. I used NetBSD gzip on it this time.

I renamed it to ZIMAGE.USB and put it in the C:\baslin directory and loaded
it like this:
loadlin c:\baslin\zimage.usb root=/dev/hda8 rw

This time it loads OK, and I can eventually press Enter and get a BL3
prompt.

I did fdisk /dev/sda , deleted existing partition, created a new one
/dev/sda1 , mke2fs /dev/sda1 , rebooted.

Mounted it at /hd/jay , copied to it the contents of /bin/ , cd
/hd/jay , and tried a few programs, eg ./setterm , ./mount ./umount ,

Quit for the night, very tired.

Thanks,
Sheldon

I tried copying a few files from /bin on my 1-floppy USB linux to the memory card after mounting /dev/sda1 to /mnt. e3 and busybox, both static. They both ran from this DOS partition, which I had not expected would work.

So it looks like I should be able to use the 1-floppy BL, and add any programs I want to the CF memory card as long as they are statically compiled or else compiled dynamically to work with uclibc, which David has included on the disk: libc.so.0 libm.so.0 ld-uClibc.so.0 (these are normally links to files of different names but he saved space by renaming the files). Unfortunately I think he said he failed at compiling netpbm against uclibc. Was it the main libnetpbm library that failed to compile, libpng, libtiff, or the individual programs? Did they fail to compile statically and if so, I could try a dynamic compilation since this is a situation where there would be no other libc to confuse things.

Maybe I can also add the netpbm libc5 libraries and point netpbm at their location on /dev/sda1. (He explained once how to do this so as to use BL3 programs in BL2 when they had libraries of the same name).

The 1-floppy USB linux does not include ppa.o or imm.o so I can't use it with the parport zip drive linux to copy photos to it directly from the camera. Nor is there space left to add them (unless I remove something).

Is anyone else interested in confirming that my usbcam BL3 image file cannot be mounted and used from a memory card in USB storage device such as card reader or camera or memory stick, chrooting to the mounted linux?