baslinux - [BL] camera linux, was Re: BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] camera linux, was Re: BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:21:10 +0000 (UTC)

Apparently you cannot treat a memory card like a hard disk or floppy disk.
The manual for the camera says you can 'format' the memory card, but that
is incorrect, what you are doing is simply making directories in the DOS
partition. So I can not set up an ext2 linux. I should be able, however,
to put an image file of some linux into the existing DOS partition, maybe
in a /linux directory.

The 1-floppy USB linux disk made by David includes loop.o so I was able to
boot with it, insmod loop, mount /dev/hda1 /hd, cd /hd/baslin, mount -o
loop fs.img /mnt, chroot /mnt /bin/sh and run BL3.40.

I don't know if I can insmod ppp_generic and ppp_async that David compiled
for use with a larger 2.4.31 kernel.

See http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/usbcam.gz

Instructions for use at /bl/blfiles.htm

This is an image file which you can mount and chroot to after booting with 2.4.31 (or anything else if you don't need to use modules), designed for use with David's 1-floppy USB camera linux (usb-linux-tar.gz package). Copy it (unzipped) to some place on your memory card in the camera or card reader, or to a USB memory stick if you have your photos on one.

I have tested it only by chrooting to the file on hard drive, not yet on a camera (which is not where I am now), but zgv (libc5) does work. I did not test dialing with it and forgot to remove the old pppd when I added David's new one for 2.4.31. I included parport modules but not lp or plip, in this preliminary version.

Just about 5MB of files in a 10MB image file in case you want to add other programs (such as adding back X, which I removed).

Let me know if it works for you before I add lp and remove old pppd.
I included the netpbm modules for printing so in theory you could print your photos out direct from the camera after a floppy boot (in color on an HP deskjet but I think I also forgot to add that program to BL3 netpbm package).