baslinux - Re: [BL] camera linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] camera linux
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:58:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

I then rebooted and mounted the memory card (mount /dev/sda1 /usb) and
cd'ed to the /usbcam directory and an ls gave me not the bl3mini file but
a lot of garbage which I cannot find any way to get rid of:

?@.?? @ get inte.rfa otocol w.ron??:?????.???

endpoin.t i augsepoc.tno lation.ata t: %s?.vcu?4???v??.?=?

and much more similar.

I tried to
rm -r *
rm: invalid option --

cd ..; rm -r usbcam

It probably found a file called or containing '--' and is interpreting
it as an option.

Or 'rm -r -- *'. This is supposed to be supported by GNU rm,
not sure about busybox.

Does not work. Same message about no such option. I am using GNU rm, not busybox.

I get pages of messages: Cannot remove: @....??? (etc.)- no such file or directory.

When I do an ls -l I get pages of lines listing the file name followed by 'no such file or directory' and it suddently switches to upper ascii, which I can fix with a reset.

rm * is now doing the same thing, switches to upper ascii after one line about invalid option -- .

ls lists things neatly in fives columns in 8.3 format.

rm -r usbcam
rm: directory 'usbcam' is write protected: descent into it anyway?
Enter
Nothing happened.

I think it's expecting you to answer Y or N.

I answered Y to all the Y/N questions and still nothing was deleted.

I don't want to delete all the photos. How do I get rid of this corrupted
image file? Am I seeing the name of one big file?

Are you unmounting and giving the disks plenty of time to sync up
before you unplug them? This is not normal behavior for flash disks.

I also noticed that I am unable to umount /usb after mounting /dev/sda1 to it. 'Invalid argument'. I can however umount /dev/sda1 (it tells me Invalid argument but umounts it anyway). I was having unmounting problems before this, possibly before I unplugged the card having given up on unmounting it. I should keep notes.

Any other ideas on how to delete the contents of this garbled directory?
I cannot do e2fsck on a DOS directory. This reader does not work in DOS so I cannot use scandisk. Is there a linux version of scandisk for DOS partitions?

I now have a 5MB usbcam5 (which should gzip to about 2.5MB again) which
contains the netpbm documentation, but nothing for dealing with pcx, bmp,
png, or tiff files, just gif, jpeg, and p?m, which I can put onto a zip
disk and use if I modify David's 1-floppy USB boot linux to work with
parport zip drives. Does that kernel support imm.o and ppa.o?

Yes, in fact I think I distributed them with an earlier version of
linux-usb.tar.gz.

I will find a way to get them onto your 1-floppy linux (maybe in place of less).

I am leery of trying to put any more linux files onto the memory cards.
Maybe it is time to give up and just lug along a laptop computer (once we
get zgv to work on them). Or learn to use whatever libraries put into
their Window XP computers for image editing, if anything.

As long as you're using a GUI, try Irfanview. Odd name, but it is
a nice free lightweight image processor.

I used it for a friend with Win98, but the library computers probably do not have it.

David