baslinux - Re: [BL] camera linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] camera linux
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:52:39 +0000 (UTC)

I shrank usbcam.gz to 5MB so it would fit onto my Smartmedia card which is nearly full of photos.

First I was able to chroot to bl3mini, which I had designed for booting like BL2, but from one floppy disk. That worked fine.

I then rebooted and mounted the memory card (mount /dev/sda1 /usb) and
cd'ed to the /usbcam directory and an ls gave me not the bl3mini file but a lot of garbage which I cannot find any way to get rid of:

?@.?? @ get inte.rfa otocol w.ron??:?????.???

endpoin.t i augsepoc.tno lation.ata t: %s?.vcu?4???v??.?=?

and much more similar.

I tried to
rm -r * rm: invalid option --
I tried to chmod a-w *
also an invalid option

I tried rm -r -f -d *, etc.

rm -r usbcam
rm: directory 'usbcam' is write protected: descent into it anyway?
Enter
Nothing happened.

ls: ...... many lines of garbage as above (shorter lines).

ls -l, many lines of error messages:
ls: .: (and variants with .:, @, a) No such file or directory
total 0

I don't want to delete all the photos. How do I get rid of this corrupted image file? Am I seeing the name of one big file?

I now have a 5MB usbcam5 (which should gzip to about 2.5MB again) which contains the netpbm documentation, but nothing for dealing with pcx, bmp, png, or tiff files, just gif, jpeg, and p?m, which I can put onto a zip disk and use if I modify David's 1-floppy USB boot linux to work with parport zip drives. Does that kernel support imm.o and ppa.o?

I am leery of trying to put any more linux files onto the memory cards.
Maybe it is time to give up and just lug along a laptop computer (once we get zgv to work on them). Or learn to use whatever libraries put into their Window XP computers for image editing, if anything. They won't let you boot with a floppy disk anyway.

The zgv problem in BL2 was related to matrox (I was already using SW81 svgalib). I had set libvga.config to use framebuffer but not loaded matroxfb. Matrox does not seem to work like most other cards so I had problems with chipset VESA or even no chipset specified in matrox mode.
Framebuffer mode with svgalib also gives odd effects but switching vt's on exit from zgv and back fixes it.