baslinux - Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL loopback version in Windows XP command window
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:14:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Maybe it would be easier. Give it a try and see. Right: if you have the
necessary USB modules compiled into the kernel, there's no need for an
initrd, I guess.

Maybe this weekend. I would start a fresh BL3.40 loop, add netpbm or part
of it (do we want to print from the camera?) and copy it via the 1-floppy
2.4.31 rather than install-to-hd, to as small a partition as possible
(less than 20MB) on the memory card. Then replace the 2.2.26 modules with
any wanted 2.4.31 modules (slhc, ppp*?).

Apparently you cannot treat a memory card like a hard disk or floppy disk. The manual for the camera says you can 'format' the memory card, but that is incorrect, what you are doing is simply making directories in the DOS partition. So I can not set up an ext2 linux. I should be able, however, to put an image file of some linux into the existing DOS partition, maybe in a /linux directory.

The 1-floppy USB linux disk made by David includes loop.o so I was able to boot with it, insmod loop, mount /dev/hda1 /hd, cd /hd/baslin, mount -o loop fs.img /mnt, chroot /mnt /bin/sh and run BL3.40.

I don't know if I can insmod ppp_generic and ppp_async that David compiled for use with a larger 2.4.31 kernel.

David, you compiled a busybox for it with sha1sum as well as md5sum, but no which.

I will copy to fs.img (mounted) David's static zgv so I can view pnm files. xli does jpg and gif. netpbm converts other formats to pnm and manipulates the pnm (or ppm pam pbm pgm). Or else use the fs.img that I made for a 1-floppy BL3 with zgv-libc5. I will also add netpbm for BL3 including libnetpbm.

If I only wanted to add static programs to the 1-floppy setup, I could make an fs.img consisting only of those programs and mount it to a directory which I put on the path in /etc/profile. But I need libnetpbm and there is not space for it on the floppy disk, which I want to continue using standalone so don't want to remove anything to make space.

If ppp works I may also add kermit and maybe links2 (both for libc5).

If we boot from a FD with the kernel, how much disk space would be needed
for a minimal BL3 without modules?

Would you resize fs.img? If so, BL3 should fit in 5-7MB.

Referring to adding programs in fs.img without chrooting:

(I could try to add it to /etc/profile but don't know how to modify
David's syslinux setup.)

mount /dev/fd0 /fd
zcat /fd/initrd.gz >/initrd

Or copy to hd and gunzip it.

mount -o loop /initrd /hd
edit /etc/profile

David

This would not work for netpbm because it also needs libnetpbm. Can I add a library to the library path somehow, in /etc/profile, and have both a library and a binary directory in fs.img?

Sindi

Can anyone guess why we cannot get a computer to boot from a SCSI DOS drive? The drive is bootable (active, sys'ed), it is the only drive in the computer, and CMOS is set to boot from SCSI, A, C. It gets stuck at verifying DMI table or the like (just before the DOS boot part).