baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:28:45 -0800

On 11/17/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I just downloaded the latest 2.2.26 kernel for BL3 and tried it in BL3 and
> BL2. Unlike David's 2.4.31 kernel, it does work with Xvesa. (I could not
> test on this video card with plain X).

It has networking support. Mine does not (to save space).

> zgv still does not work: mmap error in paged screen memory.
>
> Since I have no USB devices that will work with 2.2.26,

You don't? Did you try your usb-storage device? Do you have
a non-storage device which does not work with 2.2.26?

> I will stick with 2.2.16 until someone can figure out the zgv
> (svgalib) problem with 2.2.26.

The problem is with svgalib using an old mmap call, which has
been dropped in 2.2.26 (sometime before then).

> Maybe the libvga and libvgagl from SW91 will fix svgalib in BL2,

They will.

> but zgv for BL3 is statically compiled and would need to be replaced.

Is there a dynamic zgv for libc5? Or a dynamic seejpeg? Doesn't SW4
have one?

> I could try using the static zgv with SW91 (live CD).

It will not work.

> Maybe the later kernel simply dropped support for svgalib?

Nope. It works for me with a newer version of svgalib.

> I also could not get lynx to compile for it.

Does lynx even work with svgalib?

> One could skip svgalib and use xli and links -g under X, which does work
> with 2.2.26.

But it is larger.

> > Regarding David's 2.4.31 usb-storage kernel that won't work with svgalib
> > (zgv) or any form of X in BL2:
>
> >> It might be a lot simpler just to use your small usb-storage kernel for
> >> downloading pictures and reboot to the regular 2.2.16 (or 2.2.26 - if it
> >> works with everything now on my computer).

I should have asked how often you need to transfer pictures. Would
you really need to use X/sound at the same time?

> > Same problem with BL3 X-vesa, which is statically compiled (against
> > uClibC?). Unless David can compile a 2.4.31 kernel that will work with
> > the SW71 (and SW40) svgalib

I can't.

> > and X, and with Xvesa, and does not require a
> > later libc than SW81,

It will not require a new libc.

> > David, could you try out any kernel you compile to make
> > sure it works with Xvesa from BL3?

It will work if networking is set to Y.

David