baslinux - Re: [BL] SW81 svgalib with usb kernel 2.4.31 Re: USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SW81 svgalib with usb kernel 2.4.31 Re: USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:39:43 +0000 (UTC)

libvga.config has a section similar to XF86Config where you can change
horizontal sync from 31.5-35.5 to something that will support 1280
(31.5-50 ought to work), and a modelines section. Can I edit the
modelines sections of both config files so that Matrox will display at
1280 at a lower frequency?

I finally got my Tseng card to display at 1152 and 1280, rather than just 1024, with svgalib, on a monitor that does HorizSync 54 and VertRefresh 100

1. chipset VESA (adds 1024 - otherwise it was only 800) - needed for Tseng and SiS and I think Matrox but not S3 or Cirrus

2. Change HorizSync from 31.5-35.5 (low-end SVGA interlaced default) to
HorizSync 31-5 54
(56.4 for my IBM monitor, some 15" monitors only go to 50 but will display 1280 with S3 anyway).

3. Change VertRefresh from 50 90 to
VertRefresh 50 100
(Some older monitors won't support this.)

My IBM mouse works with the default power settings, but other mice have to have power turned off to work correctly.

I changed from microsoft to ps/2 mouse.

svgalib 1.4.3 from SW81 supports much higher resolutions, including 1600 and possibly up to 2048, but for the more unusual combinations of horiz x vert dpi you will need to add your own modeline.

I will try this svgalib with SiS (which would not work at all with the older one from SW71) and with Matrox cards (which I think messed up the screen on exit from zgv. I know some other newer PCI cards did so).