baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:53:01 -0800

On 11/17/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> I have no idea how to use a USB mouse in linux but will try ours if
> someone explains how.

Here is what works for me with 2.2.26:

insmod usbcore
insmod usb-uhci
insmod input
insmod usbmouse
insmod mousedev
mkdir /dev/input/
mknod c 13 32 /dev/input/mouse0
ln -sf /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/mouse
startx

If you have a wheel mouse, you may need to move the wheel
up and down to get it to work properly. Some interaction
between the mouse driver and mouse.

> I did not try the camera because you said
> usb-storage did not work right, but I will try tomorrow if you want.

Stephen says that USB storage works for him. Can you try it
with an ohci?

linux-usb.org says that mass storage does not work in 2.2.26.

> >> Maybe the libvga and libvgagl from SW91 will fix svgalib in BL2,
> >
> > They will.
>
> Okay, I will install the svgalib package from SW91.

SW81 svgalib might be more convenient.

> >> but zgv for BL3 is statically compiled and would need to be replaced.
> >
> > Is there a dynamic zgv for libc5? Or a dynamic seejpeg? Doesn't SW4
> > have one?
>
> Yes for seejpeg. I don't know about zgv. Why is the static version not
> working with the 2.4.31 kernel?

I don't know which static version you are talking about, but I think it is
because the old vgalib code is statically compiled in. This code does
not like 2.2.26 or 2.4.31.

> > I should have asked how often you need to transfer pictures. Would
> > you really need to use X/sound at the same time?
>
> Not if I can get svgalib/zgv working so I can check that the photos are
> really there and not corrupted before I delete them from the camera.

OK.

> > It will work if networking is set to Y.
>
> The minimal kernel will be handy if it can be put onto a 2-floppy BL3
> set to use on other people's computers.

But you would need to repartition.

> Does your kernel mount DOS and Windows file systems?

I included vfat support, because that is what most cameras use.
So, 'yes'.

David