baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:32:20 -0800

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005, sindi keesan wrote:
> >> If usb-storage inserts properly, you should get a message assigning the
> >> USB device to something like sda1 (if you have no other scsi block
> >> devices).
> >
> > Not if usb-storage comes from 2.2.26.
> Did that 'insert properly'?

I guess so. I did not receive any error message until I inserted a
usb-storage device. And even if it was plugged in before I insmodded,
lsmod showed a successful insertion.

> Since my two computers with USB are in transition, I tried out your new
> kernel on the Gateway that does not do loop linux and it has an IDE zip
> disk (hdd) and a pcmcia controller.
>
> The kernel was a bit upset about the hdd not having a partition table, but
> then it booted fine. Lots of stuff went by about SCSI system driver, and
> host/usb-uhci.c (this has Intel USB, therefore uhci), and usb.c bus number
> 1, and USB Mass Storage Support Registered.
> hub.c: New USB device .... address 2 (does this mean the controller is
> address 1?)

I think it means that you inserted it in slot #2 (do you have 2 USB slots?)

> scsusb.contro/bulk.msg timeout (what does this mean?)

It means that the camera was a little too slow to respond to the PC, so it
sent its request again. (because it timed out the first time)

> I was able to mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> (or to cat /dev/sda1, which made a racket and put lots of garbage on the
> screen).

That is good.

> I then cd'ed to dcim and its subdirectory, and as with DOS and SW91 there
> are lots of jpgs there. I should have copied one as a test, but instead
> I tried to view the photos. I typed zgv:
>
> svgalib: zgv - mmap error in paged screen memory.

I've seen this before. I think it means that your svgalib version doesn't like
Linux 2.4. You will probably need to upgrade svgalib to use it with 2.4.

> Then I tried Xvesa: can't establish listening socket.
>
> Same thing with plain X and xinit.

This is a different issue. I did not include networking support because
I used the SW10.2 lowmem.i config and modified it. This config does
not have networking support or loadable modules.

> So I soft rebooted with my usual BL2 kernel, which found hdd (IDE zip)
> prefectly (the 2.4.31 kernel must not support that)

It is intended for IDE hard drives, not zip drives.

> What might be going on with this new kernel and video? It does not
> interfere with mounting the memory card, but it would be nice to be able
> to view photos without powering off and on again first.

You should be able to use a newer svgalib. Or perhaps there is another
way to view photos at the command line. I thought that it was possible
to use zgv without svgalib.

libcaca might work.

> Is this some sort of new bug in 2.4.31?

It is not a bug, it is a feature.

At 436K, this kernel is mainly a kludge to quickly use a mass storage
device. If you need to do other things, you should either build your own
custom kernel (or wait for me to build one) or use the large Slackware
kernel.

David