baslinux - Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] custom kernel (was: USB and the digital camera)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:54:37 -0800

On 11/16/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, David Moberg wrote:
>
> > - a.out support as module
> Which module is this?

binfmt_aout

> > - modular floppy, parallel & serial port
> > - booting from initrd or ide hard drive (but not scsi, usb,
> > parallel zip, pcmcia, or loop)
>
> Some people might still want to boot from loop via a DOS partition.
> (Another list member reports that the 2.2.26 kernel now boots from a loop
> on his PII computer, which he could not do with 2.2.16).

You also mentioned SCSI. All of this will take space. Maybe you want
the SW10.2 kernel?

> > - no framebuffer/vga=ask support
>
> I use both of these. The kernel I compiled lacks framebuffer and I had no
> luck adding it. BL3 lacks vga=ask, but I like to use that in order to get
> more columns and rows. I set it up with resizecons and restoretextmode to
> show 80 (100) and 132 columns, with 24-60 rows (depends on the card)
> Framebuffer is another way to get more columns, which I need to use links
> conveniently in console mode.

If you use resizecons, isn't vga=ask redundant?

> > - proc, ext2 filesystem support
> > - modular ntfs, vfat, isofs, etc.
>
> I can mount a DOS floppy disk or drive in BL2 without -t msdos. Please
> compile the kernel so this will still work (unlike in BL3).

I think it does work in BL3.

> Please compile in CD-ROM support (not as modules) as in BL2.

An even bigger kernel. Perhaps it would be helpful to take a
SW10.2 kernel and decide what you need from that?

> > Note that you will need to upgrade pppd and insmod
> > when moving to 2.4.
>
> Is SW91 2.4.31?

No,

> If not, where do we find the modules?

SW10.2 is 2.4.31. But those modules probably won't work
with this kernel.

David