baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 03:22:29 +0000 (UTC)

I then tried building my own kernel. I got the 2.2.26 source from
kernel.org, set CONFIG_SCSI, CONFIG_SD, CONFIG_USB,
CONFIG_UHCI, and CONFIG_USB_STORAGE to Y, and built
and booted that kernel. And I got the exact same error message.

I then built a 2.4.31 kernel with the exact same config. It worked
and did not give any error messages.

I therefore conclude that 2.4 is needed for USB storage.

I read David's responses out of chronological order. Apparently he is offering to build custom 2.4.31 kernels if needed. I will try the basic one first (with no modules required) and hope it works as well as the SW91 live CD did. There is really no need to have one kernel that does everything including download from USB cameras, unless you are a professional photographer. Switching to a 2.4.31 kernel would require duplicating a lot of modules.

Everything else which I have works with your 2.2.26 kernel,
except for APM and ACPI, as expected.

sindi keesan wrote:
Also, Steven's non-experimental kernel might not even work with
usb-storage and the full insmod, it might need to be compiled to work with
usb-storage, which it was not.

It appears that it would work, if the 2.2.26 usb-storage support
wasn't as buggy.

I could not get SW81 usb-storage to work either but it could be insmod. Something about resets.

... I think the usb-storage device also is pseudo-scsi.

It is. usb-storage is SCSI commands sent over the USB. Just as
ide-cs is IDE commands sent over PCMCIA.

If usb-storage inserts properly, you should get a message assigning the
USB device to something like sda1 (if you have no other scsi block
devices).

Not if usb-storage comes from 2.2.26.
Did that 'insert properly'?

Ron Clarke wrote:
If Sindi, or anyone else, is willing to do a little hand-holding,
I would very much like to learn how to get the pictures off the
camera and onto my computer.

You can try my 2.4.31 kernel, which I just uploaded. You need:

PC with working math coprocessor and USB
ext2 IDE hard drive partition with some version of BL installed
(not loop or ramdisk)

http://us.share.geocities.com/davidjmoberg/zimage-usb.gz

Boot BL with the 2.4 kernel. Plug in camera. Then try to mount
the camera:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

You can then copy the pictures from your camera to disk and
reboot with your usual kernel to send the pictures somewhere
else.

Please let us know if it works!

David

I will be delighted to try this out as soon as we get the computers put back together some time this week. Still shuffling hard drives, RAM, cpus, and video cards around in my two computers with USB ports.

Thanks! Sindi