baslinux - [BL] SW81 svgalib with usb kernel 2.4.31 Re: USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] SW81 svgalib with usb kernel 2.4.31 Re: USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:18:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

No point to this if I need something that will work with your latest
kernel. I will upgrade to SW81 svgalib and report back how it works with
2.2.26 and 2.4.31.

I put
chipset VESA
in the config file for chips like SiS, Tseng, Trident and Matrox.

I tried that with the svgalib.org one, but it gave an error message
which I did not copy down.

I just downloaded the Slackware 8.1 svgalib package (i386) and it works perfectly with David's 2.4.31 usb kernel except that I suspect he did not compile support for any mouse.

I edited /etc/libvga.config to change the mouse from microsoft to PS/2 (and I also added chipset VESA, so my Tseng card now works up to 1024 instead of only 800, though it ought to work at 1280 like it does with Xvesa) but

svgalib - failed to initialize mouse

The mouse does not work in links2. zgv does not use a mouse.

On the subject of graphics, my better Tseng card (2.5MB RAM, works with X_SVGA to 1280), when used with framebuffer, won't do 1280 at more than 256 colors. An S3 Trio3D with 2MB does 64K colors. The Tseng card seems rather nonstandard - svgalib and framebuffer don't work as well as expected with it.

Is there some way, by editing the config files for svgalib or regular X, to get a Matrox card to work at 1280 on a monitor that does only 50KHz Hsync? svgalib and Xvesa work only to 1024, as does DOS diagnostic program whatvga2. (I have three Matrox cards, and I think the newer one won't even work with whatvga2). Or to 1600 on a monitor that does up to 66-70K, when whatvga2 tests it at 72 or 75K? I. e., can you tell the video card to work at a lower frequency? At 1280 it puts out something between 56K and 66K when used with whatvga2.

People send me scanned documents that display more clearly at higher resolution.

S3 cards display at higher resolutions, but don't do framebuffer (except for the AGP Trio3D). AGP cards do framebuffer but don't work with MGA cards, and all but the Trio3D have the same problem as the Matrox - Hsync too high for the monitor. My only framebuffer PCI cards are Tseng (which keeps crashing X and only does 1024 in svgalib) and Matrox (which won't work at 1280 on a 15" monitor).

libvga.config has a section similar to XF86Config where you can change horizontal sync from 31.5-35.5 to something that will support 1280 (31.5-50 ought to work), and a modelines section. Can I edit the modelines sections of both config files so that Matrox will display at 1280 at a lower frequency?