baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:23:18 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding David's mini-kernel for 2.4.31 with usb-storage.

I was able to mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
(or to cat /dev/sda1, which made a racket and put lots of garbage on the
screen).

That is good.

I then cd'ed to dcim and its subdirectory, and as with DOS and SW91 there
are lots of jpgs there. I should have copied one as a test, but instead
I tried to view the photos. I typed zgv:

svgalib: zgv - mmap error in paged screen memory.

I've seen this before. I think it means that your svgalib version doesn't like
Linux 2.4. You will probably need to upgrade svgalib to use it with 2.4.

I can do that, and rename the older program, and hope the current zgv works with current libraries. Otherwise I would need to upgrade those as well (libvgagl, libvga, libjpeg, libpng, libtiff, libz libm libc.so., ld-linux).

Will I need to upgrade those to the SW91 libc for the new svgalib to work? If so I would probably also need to upgrade the full libc, since when I tried using the SW71 libc.so with the SW81 libc, the compiler and ar and other things stopped working.

It might be a lot simpler just to use your small usb-storage kernel for downloading pictures and reboot to the regular 2.2.16 (or 2.2.26 - if it works with everything now on my computer).

Then I tried Xvesa: can't establish listening socket.

Same thing with plain X and xinit.

This is a different issue. I did not include networking support because
I used the SW10.2 lowmem.i config and modified it. This config does
not have networking support or loadable modules.

So I soft rebooted with my usual BL2 kernel, which found hdd (IDE zip)
prefectly (the 2.4.31 kernel must not support that)

It is intended for IDE hard drives, not zip drives.

What might be going on with this new kernel and video? It does not
interfere with mounting the memory card, but it would be nice to be able
to view photos without powering off and on again first.

You should be able to use a newer svgalib. Or perhaps there is another
way to view photos at the command line. I thought that it was possible
to use zgv without svgalib.

The svgalib package contained libvgagl and libvga. I might need to upgrade just those. The rest is tests, documentation, config files, and restoretextmode and related programs (not resizecons, I must have found that somewhere else).

With BL2 I am using the delilinux Xvesa, but I could use the BL3 statically compiled one instead, which is probably newer. I have not tested it with your kernel. I think I also had the same problems with plain X as with Xvesa - can't establish listening socket.

I will try your kernel with BL3 and the Xvesa that comes with it.

libcaca might work.

Is this some sort of new bug in 2.4.31?

It is not a bug, it is a feature.

At 436K, this kernel is mainly a kludge to quickly use a mass storage
device. If you need to do other things, you should either build your own
custom kernel (or wait for me to build one) or use the large Slackware
kernel.

If I would have to upgrade libc to use your custom kernel, I will stick with the small usb-storage-only one for a while and try to add framebuffer support to my own 2.2.16 again. Or maybe someone can get a 2.2.26 kernel to work with cameras as well as ipods.

David