baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:57:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

I haven't been paying too much attention to the discourse on getting
images from a digital camera via usb. But, thanks to a much unexpected
re-fund from our wonderful (cough, choke) tax department, I find myself in
posession of a shiny new digital camera.

If Sindi, or anyone else, is willing to do a little hand-holding, I would
very much like to learn how to get the pictures off the camera and onto my
computer.

So far I only have our camera working in DOS and SW91 live CD.

Give me a few days to try out the new BL kernel with usb-storage.
Or try it yourself.

I got sidetracked when I started researching super socket 7 boards, and discovered that anything with an ALi chipset, which is our two Asus P5A-B boards, needs to have DIMM speed matched to bus speed, at either 66MHz (15 ns) or 100MHz (PC100, 10 or 8 ns), so that for a 300MHz cpu with 66MHz DIMMs you need some multiple of 66MHz. We are now moving DIMMs around and resetting bus speeds on all of our SS7 boards. If you use 66MHz in a 100MHz bus it may be unstable, and PC100 in a 66MHz bus is wasted.
Also we seem to have AGP 1X in one DFI and 2X in another board (newer) so that the tested video speeds for the cards are 7.1 or 14.2K. And the Matrox card won't work with one monitor, and the Trio3d displays at 1600 but the Riva does not on another monitor.... (ATI only goes to 1280 on any monitor). Too many computers. So no USB for a few more days.

You can do what I was going to do:

Boot with that kernel and have the modules in /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc
(or 2.2.26/usb if you prefer)

insmod usbcore

insmod usb-ohci or usb-uhci or uhci

(The latter two are for computers with the pertinent usb chip, including Intel boards and some others, and some add-on cards). Try until something works. Compaq uses ohci, Gateway (PII, Intel) uhci, DFI I think uhci but not sure). You will get a message when it works.

Via - uhci, Opti - ohci? (Or maybe vice versa, see my previous posting).
But the motherboard itself may have a VIA chip (better SS7 boards do).

insmod usb-storage -- this is where I had problems when trying to use the SW81 kernel and modules with the BL2 busybox insmod. It was suggested I get the full insmod from SW81. I was getting a lot of reset-type messages. Also, Steven's non-experimental kernel might not even work with usb-storage and the full insmod, it might need to be compiled to work with usb-storage, which it was not. (But sometimes modules will work with a kernel that was not compiled for them, as in the case of some network and sound cards such as tulip with BL kernels, and esssolo1 with my sound kernel for sb). I was going to try to get SW81 usb-scsi kernel working first, then try Steven's new kernel. Another problem is that his kernel is not scsi, and I think the usb-storage device also is pseudo-scsi.

I suspect usb-storage would need a scsi-capable kernel with support for scsi_mod and sd_mod (was there another scsi module?) as well as being compiled experimentally for usb-storage. (If someone wants to compile one please also include my Adaptec card so I can use it for everything).

If usb-storage inserts properly, you should get a message assigning the USB device to something like sda1 (if you have no other scsi block devices). Mount that device at /mnt/camera or whatever mount point you like and cd to it. ls should list directories including /dcim, and the pictures would be in a subdirectory of that. dcim - digital camera images?

I haven't a clue at the moment.

I could not figure out if ALL digital cameras worked as usb storage devices, from online reading. If yours does not, you can also get a USB card reader that should do so.

Regards,
Ron

If you have a laptop computer, you might be able to get a pcmcia adaptor for your memory card. They are made for compact flash. I posted how to use my card with our 486 laptop and BL3. I think it was ide_cs.o module.
We also got a DOS parport card reader for it.