baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:53:07 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue69/mathew.html
awesfx-glibc225.tgz - A set of utilities including sfxload and one sound bank. >sfxload synthgm.sbk to load a sample sound bank, then play midis. This is >version 0.4.4 without ALSA support.
Does this mien that it is possible to have a small medi assembler without
ALSA? (This question is for my brother. I sort we had to compile the kernel
of his Vectorlinux (vectorlinux kernel has bind cleaned) to install ALSA in
order to get a midi assembler. ((I really don't know what a midi assembler is
but my brother is making music and need something that can do a bit of what
cubase can du)).

There is a small non-alsa sound package for BL3 and SB16, put together by Christof. It may be posted at the BL3 site. You need a sound-capable kernel, such as the bare.i kernel for SW7.1, or two smaller BL-based kernels that I compiled (zimage.sb and zimage.snd) which are not as complete (see my config.snd file) but work with esssolo1 and some other sound cards. You need to insmod several modules, some of them with irq and io specified if they are ISA cards. See the archive. I even got OPTI 929 and 931 working. S16 is easiest.

I also compiled (for BL2 - you would need to add glibc) the awesfx package and drvmidi, which are used only with SB AWE sound cards.

For non-awe MIDI playing, use playmidi. I posted a BL2 version at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl. And a BL3 version for AWE only. See the archive for a BL3 complete version with FM synthesis. David can explain how to convert rpm packages to tgz.

mpg123 plays mp3 files (get it from Slackware), so does mplayer.
sox.tgz contains 'play' for .wav files. They all work with OSS sound.

I will be out of town for a month leaving tomorrow so won't be posting often.

/Mikkel