baslinux - Re: [BL] mac

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mac
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:04:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, David Lane wrote:

I'd find/fix the floppy.The simplest way to get online however is to get a

The floppy drive was slowly dying and it used to read only floppy disks that it formatted for itself, but now it makes awful noises and crashes the computer.

hub and ethernet cable and share the DSL modem.Older macs serial port

We have the ethernet cable and ethernet pcmcia card. I thought we had to plug into their computer's ethernet port. I think you are suggesting that we upload our photos via the DSL modem and then download them to their computer. We are now visiting my cousin, who also has an iMac and DSL, and might try that here after he gets home from work to help.

resembles an ps2 connector with a different pin arrangement.Parallel port
We have some odd-looking adaptors at home which might be Apple-serial-to-pc-serial that we did not think to bring along. But I don't know what serial transfer program Macs use.

won't work as the mac will try to detect you as a printer and as you
So I guess you can't use any parallel port devices on a mac, including parallel transfer cable and zip drive and probably also the parallel port CF reader, for which we have only DOS software.

found,not boot.To share the files, as I said, I'd fix or replace the
floppy.File and printer sharing between mac OS 9.2 and under with anything
is a bear, life's too short.

What OS does a 4-year-old eMac use? This second one has OSX.

A replacement floppy drive for this 486 laptop would cost much more than the computer is worth. We do have a working pentium laptop with external floppy drive but did not want to risk it being broken or stolen on a trip.
I thought we were set for all contingencies but forgot about Macs.

Apple has the market share it does because they are still providing schools with reduced-price computers. We were visiting two teachers before, and my cousin has a company that trains people in how to use computers. I hope he can get the ethernet/DSL connection working for ours. If not, he also has some PCs.

For the ethernet connection to the DSL modem, we would use the static IP number of this computer, right? Is there also some way to do direct file transfer via ethernet from linux to OSX?

David Lane