baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:05:56 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding my newer Compaq 486 laptop with wd video, that needed a special modeline:
It has 1MB video RAM and a DOS diagnostic program (whatvga2.exe) shows that it works with 32K and 64K colors. 640x480 only. LCD color.

Chips and Technology/Paradise/Western Digital video

Xvesa can't handle this chip - 4 colors only, and no arrow keys

I now have it working with xsvga in 8-bit (256 colors) with a modeline that David found for it, and Steven's XF86Config file, but if I substitute 16 for 8 to try to get more colors, it says 16-bpp is not supported.

How can I get 32K or 64K colors from this video chip in linux?
Do I need another modeline?

xli displays in 256 colors quite a bit better than xv, but xv will also display pnm format (which is the intermediate stage when editing with netpbm).

The DOS viewers also do only 256 colors. Pictview looks the best, lxpic the worst, Compushow in between. 'Display' flunked - identified truecolor as 8-bit greyscale and then refused to show it except at 320x200 (in color). xli is far superior to any of these, and is faster than xv.

zgv segfaults on this computer (as do other svgalib programs).