baslinux - Re: [BL] mac

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mac
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 01:35:55 +0000 (UTC)

We are now visiting a friend with Windows XP. Normally we could have booted with a DOS boot disk with laplink pro and transferred via serial or parallel cable. He even has a serial port on the front of the computer.

But DOS will not recognize the XP file system. So I need to use linux somehow. We have plugged the ethernet cable into his router and I did the PCMCIA stuff and it found the ethernet card, then ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 and I can ping myself.

udhchp (which I did afterwards) will also add dns 192.168.1.1 (I tried this after ifconfig eth0 down and got the same result).

info, Lease of 192.168.1.46 obtained, lease time 86400

We are plugged into the ethernet hub.

Ping 192.168.1.46 works, as does pinging my own computer.

And I can ping the other computer on the network, to which I want to transfer files.

I have ftpput, and kermit (which has ftp and telnet and kermit file transfer). I can't find any ftp server on my laptop or on the WIndows XP computer. I did not download the mini-httpd program and don't have any way to do that right now (no floppy drive, no way to transfer files between computers yet).

(Why, whenever I hit the down arrow or Enter, does pine take me to the end of the following paragraph here? Is this something to do with XP?).

The number pad down arrow works properly.

I found /sbin/httpd. I have never used it. I first cd'ed to the directory containing the photos to be transferred, then typed httpd.
Nothing seems to have happened. But ps gives http number 112.
(Enter key, number pad up arrow back to where I was....)

I have not been able to use IE to access 192.168.1.1 - it got me to some other website. So I am now using kermit and kermit file transfer to upload all the photos to my sdf account, where I will move them to my html (public access) directory and download them to this computer here via IE.
I have now learned how to access a DSL ethernet hub with BL3, which ought to work with a Mac. But how would I do a direct transfer between the two computers not using an intermediate such as sdf? Address: http://192.168.1.1 did not work (with IE).

To access the DSL line I only needed to plug in the cable between my laptop and the ethernet hub, /etc/pcmcia/start, ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 (or udhcpc might have been enough), and I was then on the network just as if I had dialed.
For the ethernet connection to the DSL modem, we would >use the static IP number of this computer, right? Is there also some way to do

>direct file transfer via ethernet from linux to OSX?We\\

Sindi,

You need not use a static IP on your computer.If you are hooked to a
hub,router,or directly to the DSL modem,the modem should assign an IP as
most DSL modems are crippled routers themselves,you can use DHCP.If you set
an static IP,make sure it's below the threshold of what the modem
automatically sets.E.G. if the modem starts assigning IP addresses at
192.168.0.97,then use a static of 192.168.0.96 or below.
File transfer between OS X and linux should indeed be possible, as OS X
is unix based.Use the samba server client onboard the mac.The instructions
to setup samba used to be on the apple support site.It will involve setting
the address of your PC in samba in this format,SMB192.168.xxx.xxx (depending
your pc's IP).I'm afraid I don't know the details myself.With both computers
on a hub or router it should be fairly easy.I'd get my instructions from the
net,there is a step by step how-to out there.
You'll find on the road, carrying a cheap ethernet hub and a couple of
cables will come in handy many times,and make life a lot easier.