baslinux - Re: [BL] mac

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mac
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:23:44 -0500 (CDT)

I think you've gone about this fundamentally wrong. It sounds like this router you've plugged into runs a dhcp server. That's what

info, Lease of 192.168.1.46 obtained, lease time 86400

means to me, anyway. That means you don't need to ifconfig anything--udhcp is doing that for you. I think you took an unecessary step by doing

then ifconfig eth0
192.168.1.1

Adding that address before eth0 gets assigned an address by the router (which is 192,168,1,46, btw) is only going to foul things up. Reboot, run the pcmcia start script, then run udhcpc. That's it. Don't ifconfig anything. Then, you should be able to run httpd from whatever directory and, having made note of the address the router assigned you (like "info, Lease of 192.168.1.46 obtained, lease time 86400"), try accessing that address from the XP machine. The other way to try this is to use the samba client package Steven put together. You can access the XP's filesystem that way if you know its IP address. I tested this package and succeeded transferring to and from an XP machine, so it will work. You'll have to search the archives for particulars though. I posted all my testing info there, but don't remember much of it off the top of my head. You should be able to find fairly comprehensive directions, if you want to go that route rather than the httpd route.

Ping 192.168.1.46 works, as does pinging my own computer.

You're pinging yourself.

I have not been able to use IE to access 192.168.1.1 - it got me to some
other website.

That's probably the router's admin panel. Usually you can admin these firewall/routers via a web interface. They run a little webserver you have to log into using your web browser to do admin stuff.

To access the DSL line I only needed to plug in the cable between my
laptop and the ethernet hub, /etc/pcmcia/start, ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
(or udhcpc might have been enough), and I was then on the network just as
if I had dialed.
For the ethernet connection to the DSL modem, we would >use the static
IP number of this computer, right? Is there also some way to do

Most networks run a dhcp server, so forget in general about ifconfig'ing. Always try running udhcpc first. If that doesn't get you an address assigned from a dhcp server on the network, then try ifconfig'ing.

James