baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:19:36 -0700

On 9/8/05, mikkel Meinike-Nielsen <mimeini AT linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I have some more questions to this. I would like to have support for "sound
> to pc-speaker" is that supported by the
> SOUND KERNELS FOR BL?

I don't think so. Do you want this? I can build a special kernel for you to
use with this.

> I think it could be relevant for other older laptop without sound card i
> found a doc about compiling the kernel with this support on.

Basically you need to apply a patch which adds this functionality, then
rebuild the kernel. Can you do this or should I?

> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue69/mathew.html
> >awesfx-glibc225.tgz - A set of utilities including sfxload and one sound
> bank. >sfxload synthgm.sbk to load a sample sound bank, then play midis.
> This is >version 0.4.4 without ALSA support.
> Does this mien that it is possible to have a small medi assembler without
> ALSA?

The page that you referenced is refering to MIDI playback with a SB AWE32
sound card. In many cases, it is easy to play MIDI files back without ALSA.

> (This question is for my brother. I sort we had to compile the kernel
> of his Vectorlinux (vectorlinux kernel has bind cleaned) to install ALSA in
> order to get a midi assembler.

> ((I really don't know what a midi assembler
> is but my brother is making music and need something that can do a bit of
> what cubase can du)).

Is this a composing tool for MIDI files (something which lets you make music)?
There was some discussion about this on the list a while ago. I will go find
it.

David