baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie needed helps on BL3 checklist.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie needed helps on BL3 checklist.
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:17:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Can Le wrote:

Steven,

6. Do we have a check list to check how many files do we need
to be able to run BL3 in C:\baslin ?

Steven wrote:
All you need is the files in the BL3 zip file (plus DOS).

About a week ago, I was be able to get DOS C:\ from F8 on my desktop. Today, I couldn't get into DOS C: from F8, All I got was a line with radio signals and computer freezed! So I did shutdown then started with F2 to enable USB drive to try USB for another drive H:, I got the same error! Shoul I re-install Windows with 3 backup CDs to get DOS from F8, because I can't get to work from MSDOS C:\baslin?

Windows XP does not have real DOS, just an imitation of it, which will not work with the version of BL3 that resides on a DOS partition. I can't help you with XP, sorry. Fixing XP still won't make it work with BL3.
If you boot with two floppy disks containing the second (2-floppy disk) version of BL3, it bypasses XP and boots directly into linux, using lilo. (The first version uses loadlin and needs to boot from 'real' DOS).

Is it possible to resize an XP partition (like you can do with Partition Magic or Partition Resizer in DOS) to make some free space for a linux partition?

I unzipped BL3 then I counted a total of 7 files as listed. If you remember how many files did you have from 1 original BL3 zip file, in case we have had bug which ate out a few files?

Please help!

Thank Steven.

Can

The DOS version of BL3 does not work on Windows XP.
It requires DOS. You should use the floppy version.

Do I need make.pl and perl or bash and other files in baslin directory?

No.

Please show me how to fix the above memory error and boot
BL3 to run perl

To use perl, you will need to add the perl package from
Slackware 4.0.