baslinux - [BL] ssh and telnet as 'user'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ssh and telnet as 'user'
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:12:51 +0000 (UTC)

I dialed as 'root' then switched terminals and logged in as 'user' and ssh followed by the login@URL tells me 'permission denied'. Telnet 'cannot open connection'. I had already done chmod +x ssh for it to be executable by everyone (it would not work even as root before this).

I am trying to follow instructions to go online as user, also trying to see if I can print email at my shell account to my own printer, as 'user'. I can print it offline as user (text) by setting up printcap and some filters, actually text uses the default lpr line, I think.
(If I dial the shell account in DOS and then read a mail with pine I can type Y and answer y and it prints the mail from there to my printer).

insmod parport
insmod parport_pc (these lines activate the printer port?)
insmod lp (line printer?)
lpd (starts printing demon)

Switch terminals and login as user (no password requested)

lpr filename - it prints on lp0 (default lpr) when I am offline.
I forget how to stop a print job - kill the process number?
There is no help file and the man page does not mention this.
If I turn off the printer, next time I turn it on the print job continues. Can I kill just one print job at a time?

I want to try this online but I cannot even get online as user.

Why is lpr an 'offline printer'?

I already did chown -R user /home/user so that I could download files to that directory while online.

How do I get ssh and telnet to work for 'user'?