baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: How to boot from a non-booting bootable CD-ROM

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: rvijay07 AT myway.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: How to boot from a non-booting bootable CD-ROM
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:54:46 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "rvijay07" <rvijay07 AT myway.com>

Did the ISO itself actually boot?

> This was just a small pet project that I decided to try from
> general interest. That is all, no big deal.
>
> The above command is a learning experience for me. Here are some
> questions, can I format a regular floppy to hold a 2.88 floppy
> image ?

Yes. The disk and drive have to be near-perfect, though, for it to
actually work. If it doesn't work, you may have problems booting.
fdformat and setfdprms have options to switch to 2.88 I think.

> If yes does this mean that the whold BL2 will be on a
> single floppy and I don't need two floppies ?

Yes. You need to use the one 2.88 image that you have. If you want
to do the same with BL3, you'll need to make some modifications.

> mkisofs -o bl2.iso -b bl2.10-2880.img bl2.10-2880.img
> Also, please explain how the above command works ? Why is
> bl2.10-2880.img repeated twice ?

-o bl2.iso just says where the output iso goes. -b filename
designates filename as a bootable floppy disk image (use your
favorite search engine to look for "Readme.Eltorito" for more
details). It's repeated twice because the -b option only takes
pathnames relative to the resulting ISO root directory, but the
second time it indicates things to go in the root directory.
(Is that clear?)

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome. Eric Raymond's tips for OSS newbies says "don't
say TIA if you want an answer", but I think the BL list is an
exception. :)
David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com