baslinux - Re: [BL] Message body is too big: 67905 bytes with a limit of 40KB

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Message body is too big: 67905 bytes with a limit of 40KB
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:35:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I can't think of how someone telnetted and logged
in as user could get at the rest of my files to
change anything,

A popular method is to create a buffer overflow
that results in root access.

How? By executing a program with switches set to do this?
Our local bbs has problems with fork bombs. Could someone telnetted to my computer transfer files to it, for instance via kermit?

Can I set in.telnetd somehow to accept logins only
from certain users on a list?

Yes, but you would need to run it from from inetd
(which is the normal way of running a telnet server).

Does the utelnetd program recently posted also allow this?

What would they want to use my computer for? A
dialed-in computer is not very useful to send spam
through, is it?

They don't know it's dialed-in. They simply see an
open telnet server and jump on it. As I said before,
their rootkit is unlikely to work on BL3. But the
attempt to install it might hose your filesystem.

Maybe this is why I get spams that have South Africa and Japan in their Received lines but claim to come from Canada.

How would this happen? Would I notice if someone
from outside were telnetted into my computer?

It takes very little time to install a rootkit
(the purpose of which is to conceal all signs of
the invader). If the installation is successful,
you will probably notice nothing.
How does a rootkit work and what does it look like?

Got to go find my partner the 'real' sed.
He keeps running into commands not present or
not working completely in busybox. I installed
sh_utils and txt_utils already - is there any
other package that would help?

Did you look for sed in MANIFEST.gz ?
Yes he did and then he noticed he already had the regular version.
I showed him how to do ls -l sed .
Dyslexia and linux don't mix well.