baslinux - Re: [BL] Can you use 2-floppy BL3 on a computer with DSL connection?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can you use 2-floppy BL3 on a computer with DSL connection?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:28:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

I took along the BL3 floppy disk set to use at someone's house and
discovered they have a DSL line, meaning I cannot use pppd to dial.
After booting to BL3, is there some way to access the internet
via telnet?

How is their DSL modem connected? If it's by USB you need to get a
USB-enabled kernel. If it's ethernet, you need to insmod the modules
for their network card and get that going, then you need to run
netsetup probably and also dhcp.

I don't know, they are in another city and we are going visiting there again end of this month. I doubt they know how things are plugged in.

I don't think the Slackware 8.1 USB kernel would fit on a BL3 or BL2 floppy disk.

Netsetup - I know how to do this if I have two computers and an ethernet cable but how do I assign numbers if there is just one computer? Does the 'DSL modem' have its own number and if so, what is it? 192.168.1.0?

ifconfig eth0 ...... ?

What does dhcp do and does BL3 or BL2 have it?

Do you know of some other small distribution that would work better in this situation? I suppose I could just take an external modem along and hope they have a serial port. Or use Windows telnet. Or even lug along a laptop computer - we have one with PCMCIA modem to which I just transferred files via plip. We need something known to have a serial port anyway in order to download photos.

I ended up using their Win98 telnet. If a DSL
connection is always on, could I just boot BL3 then type telnet?

It has to be set up first.

David