baslinux - Re: Printing with gs , was Re: [BL] Writing to /tmp

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Printing with gs , was Re: [BL] Writing to /tmp
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:25:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I am trying to run a business and taped paper would not really impress
people with my cleverness. It also might get stuck in the fax machine - I
am supposed to sign and fax someone the form. I finally signed the 3/4
page, which luckily ended just above the instructions.

Actually I had in mind temporary taping--like using a couple of small
pieces just to hold it together while it goes through the printer. Then
you remove the scrap end--which doesn't have anything printed on it
anyway. Comprendo?

Things like this tend to get stuck in the sheet feeder, and I would have had to feed it once through the printer, and then the fax machine. I have enough problems with the sheet feeder sometimes grabbing three sheets at once and printing a page across all of them. A better solution might be to tape together the two sheets and feed them to my dot-matrix printer just far enough so that the page I need prints on the second sheet of the pair that was taped together.

Many ways to print a defective file.

What is a widget?

I guess there are varying definitions. In UI-speak (user interface) I
think refers to small graphical elements that get used to create the
interface: corners, the little x box in the upper right hand window
corner--stuff like that. I'm sort of guessing based on how I've seen the
word used. I've never actually done anything with widgets myself, and
doubt I ever will.

Stuff used to make a GUI interface?

Maybe there is some way to enlarge via CLI - I will read the instructions for gs. Psview for DOS did not need a GUI interface and it let me enlarge and then just print the parts I wanted. I had to first convert to ps. Gv supposedly does ps or pdf. A way to rotate would sometimes be handy for when people scan things sideways but I can always convert to images, which are easy to manipulate.

I could use bmv to view ps files too, but it expects gs to work with vgalib so I would need the old gs and I have renamed it gs-510 so that I can use the new gs, rather than rewriting the print filters for gs-850.
I would also somehow have to specify vgalib for old gs but then that would change the display for new gs, which I could not compile for vgalib.
Any ideas on how to handle all this?

James