baslinux - [BL] Viewing with bmv, was Re: Printing with gs

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Viewing with bmv, was Re: Printing with gs
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:28:03 +0000 (UTC)

I could use bmv to view ps files too, but it expects gs to work with vgalib so I would need the old gs and I have renamed it gs-510 so that I can use the new gs, rather than rewriting the print filters for gs-850.
I would also somehow have to specify vgalib for old gs but then that would change the display for new gs, which I could not compile for vgalib.
Any ideas on how to handle all this?

I did not need to do anything about vgalib, just tell bmv which gs to use.

Rename the older gs 5.10 from SW71 to gs-old so that the newer one (later on the path in /usr/local/bin) will work.

bmv -g/usr/bin/gs-old uses the old gs, which works with vgalib, which bmv is set up to use too. It will not work with the new gs at all, just exits, probably because gs won't support vgalib.

+ - instantly enlarge or shrink, and you can specify numerous video modes (-v13 for instance) to choose resolution up to 1280 and colors up to 16M.
The later versions also rotate. Video modes are in vga.h. Scroll or go to previous or next or first or last page. View pbm, specify paper size (does it also print via gs?).

pdftops (or pdf2ps on files that gs works right with) filename.pdf
bmv -g/usr/bin/gs-old -v13 filename.ps
The old pdftops did not work on the first file I tried - use xdpf 3.00
precompiled for glibc 2.2.5.

I have an older version of bmv that won't rotate but works with SW71 and a newer one that rotates and needs glibc2.2.5 (borrowed from Redhat or Debian, I forget which).

You need svgalib.tgz. For trident or tseng (or sis?) set chipset vesa.