baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server - the solution

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server - the solution
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:07:54 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > > Is there some way to switch back and forth using
> > > command-line instead of inittab
> >
> > Perhaps. Try executing agetty directly (with the same
> > parameters shown in /etc/inittab).
>
> Just type out that line?

Everything from /sbin/agetty onwards.

> If I don't use inittab but type it out CLI do I omit
> respawn so I can kill it?

respawn is only used in /etc/inittab

> Is it any more insecure than going online with the
> server as root in the first place on a dialup connection?

That's the point: going online with a telnet server
running as root is insecure. BasicLinux was not designed
for that purpose; although I do realize that some users
are experimenting with that sort of thing. I am happy to
answer questions when I can, but don't want users to think
that BasicLinux is a suitable platform for running online
servers.

> This is handy so that two people can go online at the
> same time on one phone line.

That sort of thing is not insure, if you use an appropriately
configured firewall. BL1 actually came with a firewall
utility (ipfwadm) and configuration template in netsetup.
A similar utility can be added to BL2/BL3 from Slackware.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru