baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server - the solution

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: constant AT indo.net.id, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server - the solution
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:52:49 +0000 (UTC)

There are lots of other DOS terminal programs at simtel.net.
Kermit is shareware which you are encouraged but not required to support.
I used kermit for the nullmodem dumb terminal setup and spelled out the steps needed: uncomment the line in /etc/inittab on the linux computer, start kermit on the other computer (DOS or linux).

I used mscustom.ini in MS-kermit (DOS) and specified the port, speed, and define _mode none. (You could probably do that after starting kermit, CLI). Then C (enter) and another Enter.

In linux the commands for C-Kermit were
set line /dev/ttyS0 (enter)
set speed 115200 (enter)
set carrier-watch off (enter) (this means no modem)
C (enter)
Enter.

You could put the first three lines in .kermrc instead but then they would execute whenever you used kermit, even if you wanted to dial with it.

You should see the login screen. Log in as user. If you want to login as root you need to edit /etc/securetty and add ttyS0 or the port you are using. You can login as user then su or sudo root (see other postings).

You could also use the free microcom from BL3 (or probably minicom) as dumb terminal program.

I don't have file transfer figured out yet with the dumb terminal but Steven says it is easy, using commo with zmodem. Today I could not get anything to work for some reason.

For the other method of serial networking (ppp and telnet server) you need to run ppp on both computers. The line in /etc/inittab for the port you are using should be commented out with # (s1....agetty). I have not figured out how to do this in DOS. I have epppd (DOSPPP) but how do I assign IP numbers to the two computers in DOS? Do I make a /hosts file somewhere like in linux? For linux the instructions are in /root/netsetup of BL3 (not in BL2).

pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 ip-number-1:ip-number-2 crtscts local

Where do I specify the ip numbers in DOS, which file?
In linux they are in /etc/hosts with assigned names (clark or lois).
Do I call this com1 rather than /dev/ttyS0?
epppd is a DOS port of pppd.