baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server - the solution

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server - the solution
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:49:04 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> You cannot use the same inittab for dumb terminal
> and telnet server modes via serial cable.

You can use the same inittab if you use two different
serial ports: one for the dumb terminal, one for TCP/IP.

> In all cases you need to set the port/line, speed,
> and in the case of kermit tell it you are not using
> a modem. Other com programs also need to be told
> it is a direct connection. Steven likes commo.

Steven likes commo because it is relatively small and
works well as a dumb terminal. commo also uploads and
downloads (which not all terminal programs can do).

> Is there some way to switch back and forth using
> command-line instead of inittab to start and end
> agetty, rather than editing inittab and rebooting
> to switch from dumb terminal to serial network mode?

Perhaps. Try executing agetty directly (with the same
parameters shown in /etc/inittab).

> Or can I kill the agetty before setting up serial
> network with ppp?).

You can kill it, but it will immediately be reborn.
If you look in /etc/inittab, you will see that agetty
is launched with the respawn setting. This means the
getty restarts automatically when terminated.

> pppd local crtscts /dev/ttyS0 11500 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2

That line is wrong.
I suggest you use the line in /root/netsetup.

> I don't know if it was necessary but I also did
> ifconfig ppp0 192.168.1.1 and the same for .2

It's not necessary.

> Steven could you write this up as a FAQ?

The most important bits are already in /root/netsetup

> The part about securetty was not in netsetup,

It's not needed. Editing /etc/securetty is something
you do on a server. BasicLinux was designed to be a
client, not a server. I realize that some people are
using BasicLinux as a server, but that is not a normal
function of the distribution. In fact, using BasicLinux
as a server is very insecure (particularly if you run it
as root).

> or the fact that you cannot telnet with the same
> inittab that you need for dumb terminal.

The inittab is not at issue. Your problem was that you
were trying to use a serial port for two different things.
You would get the same effect if you put a modem and mouse
on the same port.

> Is a nullmodem cable called a laplink cable?

Yes. I've seen both names on cables in the shops.

> I thought laplink was the name of a specific program that
> is used in DOS for file transfer

Yes, it was a well-known program targetted at laptop users.
It used a nullmodem cable for serial transfers.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru