baslinux - Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:23:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

Can I also make a linux package of files over 8.3 length, package them into a 8.3 tgz file, store it on a DOS partition, and then install it and get back the correct linux file names?

No problem with this concept. I used to do something very similar using win9x long file names. Just compress them into a file that has the standard 8.3 dos lengths and everything inside of the file was fine after uncompressing on another win9x machine. Same with linux files. You can compress the files into a tarball with the standard 8.3 extension, and then when you need to uncompress/pkg it, you just untar it back onto the linux FS and the names will be the same as they were prior to being tar'd.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org