baslinux - Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:12:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

At one point with BL3 1.x I stopped taking time to download
the new versions because they were too frequent and I did
not want to keep redoing my own changes (config. files etc.).
I skipped 2.X entirely.
2.7MB takes a while to download and your download sites are
not all that fast either.

First you hassled me to upload 3.3 early, before I had
finished testing it. So I did (bl3-30.zip). Now, that
further testing has uncovered a problem (which I have
fixed in bl3-31.zip), you complain about too many versions.

You can't have it both ways. Either keep quiet and wait
patiently for me to complete testing of new versions.
Or download the updates without complaining.

You deleted the part of my previous email where I asked if you could also
post patches (changed files, or update packages) to 3.30 for those of us who already got 3.30, so that we COULD have it both ways. Would this be a lot more work for you? I wasn't complaining of too many versions, just of the need to download the whole thing every time rather than just the changes. In addition to the time taken for the download, every time I install a new version I then have to make all the same changes to it -
dialing and mail configuration files, installing packages and dependencies (icewm, links2, and in my case kermit, lynx and its dependencies, SVGAlib files, a few scripts, Chris's sound package....). I think I have seen source code plus patches, rather than a complete new version of the source code every time something changes.