baslinux - [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:03:17 +0000 (UTC)

I cannot install RP8 for linux on any of our computers except the AMD-K6 475MHz. Ron says his 400MHz also works. My 300MHz AMD-K6 does not.
Segmentation fault while trying to install.

So I plugged in our 25' crossover cable and copied the files between computers (and rooms) and confirmed with du that all subdirectories were there. 11MB of files including Help. I go to the RealPlayer8 directory and type realplay (from X). On the faster computer it puts the player onscreen in the upper left, with a black rectangle in the middle which then fills with the logo. On the slower computer I see the black rectangle briefly and then 'segmentation fault'. I tried 233MHZ PI and PII.

The faster computer has 192MB RAM, the others 64MB. At a yard sale Saturday I picked up two 100MHz 64MB SIMMS for $1 each. (She was asking $10 each but nobody else had even looked at them. $40 for a working 5 year old pentium laptop Digital. University town.)

Is more RAM likely to make a difference here? Or a swap file? (Yes I should be scolded for not having one, but I used the swap partition for BL3 and will have to look up how to make a swap file within BL2.)

These computers work fine for Win98 RP8, as does a 133MHz computer.

I then signed up for the Helixcommunity forums and wrote asking if Realplayer 10, based on opensource Helix player, which also plays OGG files, has hardware requirements, and why I can't use RP8 on my hardware.