baslinux - Re: save/restore (was Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: save/restore (was Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:19:17 +0000 (UTC)

I do have a collection of changes I made to BL2 (things I
did to config. files etc) which I package with makepkg.
What is the BL3 equivalent of makepkg?

tar zcvf (from the top directory)

Should I be using BL2 to makepkg the BL3 changes?

Since makepkg makes Slackware-type packages and pkg installs
Slackware-type packages, that would work (if you can find a
way to get makepkg running on BL2 to operate on your BL3
installation). It is probably simpler just to use tar from
inside BL3.

Thanks to Steven and Sindi.

I made a /work directory in BL3, then in that directory I duplicated
(manually. is there a better way?) the directory structure of where I
wanted files to go.

This is roughly what I did for BL2, but makepkg also sets up symlinks somehow (it makes installation scripts out of them?) and I have a few of those for some dependencies for lynx (zlib, ncurses). I think if I just tar things I end up with two copies of the file to which I am symlinking.

ln -s lib.so.6.1 lib.so.6

I end up with two copies of lib.so.6.1 and no lib.so.6 link if I try to tar the symlinks and the files. This works, but so would just renaming the 6.1 to 6 in the first place (which I think is how Steven has done part of Bl3). It is a bit harder to keep track of what came from where.

My solution was to write up a readme file listing all the symlinks that I needed. Probably a script would be more efficient but I only needed 3 or 4, and therefore I would retype them each time I installed a new BL3.

Otherwise now that I have BL3 on hard drive, I could make a directory (such as /work above) and put my changed files there, then reboot into Bl2 and use makepkg after mounting BL3 and cd'ing to the /work directory. Or am I wrong?

I had not thought of making a script to install the package of my changes and the other add-ons. BL is definitely benefiting from everyone sharing ideas.