baslinux - Re: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults; swap file; printer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults; swap file; printer
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:42:21 +0000 (UTC)

I made a swap file for this computer to test whether more RAM helps.

dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfilename bs=1024 count=8192
mkswap swapfilename 8192
sync

I modified the above to make not 8MB but 160MB since I have 80MB RAM in this computer (the only one that let me mix 2 32MB DIMMs and 2 8MB SIMMs).
I multiplied by 20 to get 163840.
I substituted the name 'swapfile' for swapfilename.

Realplay still starts to load then segmentation fault.
My last experiment would be to physically put the drive from this computer into the faster computer to prove it is a hardware problem, at which point I cannot fix this problem anyway. I will concentrate on the Helixplayer instead, which also plays OGG files and probably a few other things.

At one point when I was exiting ratpoison Xvesa in BL2 with this swap file I got a crash (had to power off) with info on the screen about Unable to handle kernel NULL pinter dereference at virtual address 00000100.....
Process swapper..... (lots of numbers). Aiee, killing interrupt handler.
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing.

I powered off and on and tried this again, both ratpoison and icewm, and Ctrl-Alt-Del worked okay both times.

I am using mdacon to switch between TTL and VGA screens.

The first time I started Xvesa from a TTL console, the second two times I first went to the VGA console. I will try to start from VGA in future or delete the swap file to avoid such problems.

Totally off this subject, but my partner just succeeded in getting TWO Epson Stylus 800 color printers (DOS and linux compatible) to work which originally had completely clogged black printer nozzles, which are not part of the cartridges. This makes for cheap cartridges. The friend who donated one of these to us said $2/color cartridge online. The trick is to use a syringe and force ink through the nozzles. When most of the nozzles were working (as shown by a Windows nozzle printer test that did not come with Win98 but did come with the much larger downloaded driver from Epson for Win9x; we did not find a DOS driver to download) he then squirted through some 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, several times. Eventually all nozzles started to work.

Ghostscript has the driver for this printer (I hope - it has epsonc for color epson anyway). In DOS it is an LQ2550 at 360 dpi, but in Windows with the newer driver it also does 720 and 1440 dots per inch and the photos it puts out even at 360 dpi look much better than the ones from HP 500 and 600 series, which look stripey. They all look fine doing plain text (not graphics-mode text). Still not useful for printing tiny print scanned at 200x200 dpi (which would need 600x600 dpi printing) - or is there some way to get a 1:1 inkdot:screenpixel?