baslinux - Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] problems with new BL3: Links2 package
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:08:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > The new kernel (486-optomized), mc and ssh went fine.
>
> None of which use X.
>
> > The Links2 browser seemed to install ok. But it won't run.
> > Could not initialize any graphics driver. Tried the following
> > drivers: x:
> > No supported color depth found
>
> Sounds like an X problem. Does rxvt and the other built-in
> X applications work? If so, what resolution did you select
> in Xsetup?

Yes, all the "stock" programs work, including magicpoint. I selected
640x480 standard vga. Just now tried 640x480x12, but X fails to start
(cannot allocate colors or something like that). Same for 800x600.

> I wonder if links2 actually works in X with 16-color VGA.
> Or does links2 require better resolution than that?

If this laptop be taken as exemplary, it apparently does not.

Closing question: will BL3.3 have a floppy version?

Thanks, James