baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: connecting via Ethernet
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 00:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004, David Lane wrote:

> Sindi,
>
> Most DOS drivers of any kind are *.sys files,and loaded from the config.sys
> file.The program is on it's way,they are simple folders that copy to the C:\
> drive.You must point the card to the drivers,specifying the path.
>
> David Lane

Thanks. I downloaded a bunch of what I hoped were DOS drivers for my
cards and found things like elnk3.dos and protocol.ini for the 3com
etherlink III, and w840nd.dos, 2840nd.nif, and protocol.ini for the
winbond 840, and many files related to specific programs for DOS, OS/2,
Win9x, Solaris, etc. No idea what to do with them. Something about ndis2
and packet drivers.

En route I found 906setup.zip for the winbond w89c906F card, ISA, which I
had not been able to get working due to ignorance. I got four PCI cards
working (and did not bother with one for which SW71 had no module) but so
far neither ISA card.

I unzipped and found w906dm.exe which I ran in the machine with the card
and it told me:

base = 300h
IRQ = 10
Media = UTP

I had been attempting to load the ne driver as follows:

insmod 8390
insmod ne io=0x300

I would get back: ne.c No NE*2000 card found at i/o=0x300h
...... Device or resource busy.

So this time I specified the IRQ, which Steven said was not necessary but
seemed to be called for somewhere in the linux online HOWTO. (The HOWTO
also said I might need to set the type of connector, and I will use UTP
since the program found something about that, rather than trying to set it
to BNC which I don't yet have anyway, it was just an offer.)

insmod 8390
insmod ne io=0x300 irq=10

This seems to have worked:
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 10

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
route

This now gives a line with eth0 on it, so I will try doing a file transfer
(later this morning, it is past midnight as I spent a few hours file
hunting first).

I had tried repeatedly without specifying IRQ and always got back
something about device or resource busy.

Thanks to whoever it was that told me I could get the DOS utility for 3com
(which I don't yet have) so that I would recognize this as a DOS utility
for the Winbond 906 card. I will look next for the 3com utility.

So what do I do with the protocol.ini and other things that I downloaded
for the winbond 840 and 940?

Thanks to everyone for the help. This ought to save a few hours per
computer.